Wednesday, September 9, 2015



Purple Hulls in Bloom

Pink-Eye Purple Hulls Peas

Purple Hulls. You gotta love 'em. Where I live, these are just called "peas." No need to make a distinction. My wife loves them. My little girls love them. I love them. They get eaten a lot at my house! And of course, we never eat fried okra without them. That, my friends, is heaven on a plate. These things do great in the heat of the summer and even thrive in dry weather. I'm working on a fall crop this year. They've began blooming and the first pickin should come about 2 weeks after the first blooms are visible. 


Update, 9/29:

The purple hulls have done Ok the last couple of weeks, but with the days getting short in fast order, they've simply ran out of hours of sun. we did to manage a few freezer bags and a few meals off them, but they've just given up the goat at this point. I'll call this late crop a minor success, but next fall I'll know to plant them in a place where the shade won't get to them in late summer/early fall.
A basket of purple hulls


A Sad, shaded bed of purple hulls (cowpeas). Need more sunlight! 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment